Friday, December 10, 2010

Panama

[passed along by David Galland, a note from a Casey subscriber]

Hi David,

Life in Panama is fairly mediocre. The level of corruption is some of the highest in the world. A recent survey showed that the country ranked at the bottom of all Central American countries in terms of democratic governance. I moved here for the climate, banking system and privacy laws. I would not make the same choice again. The country is basically run by corrupt lawyers who know how to manipulate the system to their own advantage. The actual Panamanian people are great but very poor. The education system is from the stone age. I do not advise anybody to invest, retire or move here until many problems are fixed. I will say that after a lifetime in the cold, ice and snow I do enjoy the warm weather and the beautiful ocean.

Cheers,

[name withheld]